Judge Sharply Questions Warrantless Electronics Searches at US Border - NECN
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Judge Sharply Questions Warrantless Electronics Searches at US Border

A lawsuit seeks to wipe out policies that allow agents of two agencies broad discretion to search the personal devices of anyone entering the U.S., such as cellphones and laptops

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Judge Sharply Questions Warrantless Electronics Searches at US Border
    Sam Hodgson/Bloomberg via Getty Images, File
    In this March 12, 2012, file photo, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) official inspects trucks entering from Mexico at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry in San Diego, California, U.S.

    A federal judge will not dismiss a lawsuit challenging the government’s authority to search personal electronics like cell phones at the United States border without warrants, NBC News reported.

    Judge Denise Casper of the U.S. District Court in Boston said searching electronic devices is "more intrusive than searches of one's person or effects."

    The order, issued by the court last week, rejected the government’s argument that personal electronics can be searched without warrants under the same authority that allows luggage and other physical containers to be searched by the Department of Homeland Security.

    The lawsuit, brought last year by the American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic Frontier Foundation, seeks to wipe out policies that allow agents of Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement broad discretion to search the personal devices of anyone entering the U.S., such as cellphones and laptops.

    Trump: Military 'Ready if Necessary' to Respond to N. Korea

    [NATL] Trump Says Military is 'Ready if Necessary' to Respond to N. Korea

    Moments after the White House sent a letter to North Korea canceling a planned U.S.-North Korea summit in Singapore, President Donald Trump said the United States military was ready to respond to "foolish or reckless acts" from North Korea, claiming that South Korea and Japan will pay for the cost.

    (Published Thursday, May 24, 2018)