No Bail for Man Accused of Killing Estranged Wife, Sparking Manhunt

What to Know

  • Forty-seven-year-old Allen Warner was ordered to be held without bail Wednesday in Plymouth District Court.
  • Police allege Warner shot and killed his estranged wife, Shana Warner, Monday evening in Marshfield.
  • Warner was captured at a Dunkin' Donuts in Whitman on Tuesday following a manhunt.

A Massachusetts man prosecutors say followed, then stabbed, shot and ran over his estranged wife, has been sent to a psychiatric hospital for a 20-day evaluation.

Allen Warner, 47, of Rockland, was ordered held without bail Wednesday at his arraignment on a murder charge in Plymouth District Court in connection with the shooting and stabbing death of Shana Warner. A court psychologist also recommended that he be sent to a psychiatric hospital for a 20-day evaluation.

Shana Warner's family and boyfriend were in court to hear the painful details as prosecutors revealed them in court. "Officers observed a wound to her neck, a deep laceration to her chin, and several other cuts and bruises throughout her body," said a prosecutor. "The left lung had damage from the bullet and possibly from one of the stab wounds."

Warner, who is reportedly "well-known" to authorities, was taken into custody Tuesday afternoon following a massive, hours-long manhunt on the South Shore. 

Officials allege Warner brutally attacked his estranged wife just before 6 p.m. Monday. Warner is accused of shooting her in the head while she was driving in Marshfield; however, prosecutors also said the victim had stab wounds in addition to lacerations and bruises in several places all over her body as a result of the attack.

At one point, Shana Warner called 911 for help, though officials said it was unclear if she had called 911 to say Allen Warner was chasing her before or after she was shot.

Prosecutors said they spoke with Allen Warner's mother after Shana Warner's death, and she allegedly said, "I'm sure Allen did it. I'm sure he did it. She just drives him up a wall."

"I don't know what else to say except that he's pure evil and he's committed an atrocious act of domestic violence," said Marshield Police Chief Phil Tavares, who was in court.

Allen Warner's attorney, however, questioned the evidence in the case, including witness identification, and noted that no weapons have been recovered.

"As far as I'm concerned, this is somewhat referred to as a 'who done it'", said Warner's attorney Drew Segadelli. "They haven't identified this fellow."

Tom DeFlippo, Shana's father, told NBC10 Boston on Tuesday he was devastated over the loss of his daughter.

"We are best friends ... we argue sometimes, as usual, but we are always best friends, and at the end of the day, we come here and we enjoy a glass of wine together," he said.

Prosecutors said Allen Warner attacked Shana Walker at the first stop sign she would have come across when leaving her father's home, and that Allen Warner had police called on him in that area.

Following the shooting on Monday evening, Warner fled and was on the run for more than 12 hours. He was arrested at a Dunkin' Donuts after employees called police to tell them the suspect had crashed a vehicle into their drive-thru. They said he was a regular at the Whitman donut shop.

"They told us if we didn't call, then the guy would have never gotten caught," Dunkin' Donuts employee Hailey Holmes said.

Court documents show the Warners married in 2008, and that Shana Warner filed for divorce three times, with the first time being in June 2011 because her husband was "physically and verbally abusive due to his drug use behavior."

The last time she had filed for divorce was in May of 2018, according to court documents.

The investigation is ongoing.

"My job right now is through my office to get justice for this young woman who was brutally murdered," said Plymouth District Attorney Timothy Cruz.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us