3 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 Anchovy filets, packed in oil and chopped
Get New England news, weather forecasts and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NECN newsletters.
½ Cup white wine
½ Cup clam juice (optional)
1 TBS Calabrian chiles, more or less to taste & chopped
1 14 Oz can San Marzano tomatoes, whole & peeled
1 -1 ½ Lbs. squid, tubes and tentacles, tentacles kept intact, and tubes sliced cross-wise into ¾” rings
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the extra virgin olive oil and sauté the garlic. When the garlic is fragrant and has a kiss of golden-brown color, add the anchovy and gently mash with the back of a wooden spoon. It will easily break apart and disperse delicious flavor.
- Deglaze with white wine. Add a little splash of clam juice.
- Add Calabrian chiles and tomatoes. Let the sauce simmer on medium-low for about 10 minutes.
- Add the squid. Simmer for about 8 minutes until the squid is cooked through. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over a grilled baguette drizzled with olive oil on a rimmed plate.