Coach Bus Heading to Princeton-Yale Football Game Crashes Into Building in West Haven

A coach bus heading to a sporting event crashed into a building in West Haven on Saturday morning.

The Coach USA bus crashed into a building at Anderson Glass on Campbell Avenue, near the off ramp for exit 43 on Interstate-95 in West Haven around 10 a.m.

The bus was carrying Princeton students to the Princeton-Yale football game and had brake failure, said West Haven Police Sergeant Charles Young. There were 50 students and the bus driver on the bus.

 West Haven Police gave an update on the coach bus crash in West Haven that injured five people.

According to police, four students were transported to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries. Firefighters had to extricate the bus driver, who was also transported to the hospital. 

Yale-New Haven Hospital said all five people were transported to their hospital. Hospital officials said the four students are in good condition and the bus driver is in fair condition.

Fire crews and ambulances are at the scene, as well as Connecticut State Police and West Haven building officials.

The students who were not injured took another bus to the game, police said.

On Saturday afternoon, Coach USA released a statement about the crash.

"Coach USA can confirm that one of our vehicles was involved in an incident in West Haven, CT, today, November 10, 2018. Coach USA is fully cooperating with the police in their investigation. Safety of our passengers, employees and fellow road users is our top priority," Sean Hughes, the Director of Corporate Affairs for Coach USA said in a statement.

Princeton University also released a statement saying in part:

"With the well-being of our students and other travelers in mind, University officials from the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students and many other departments are working to gather accurate information about what happened and to assist all those affected.

The University is grateful for the role first-responders have played and to our colleagues at Yale University, who are helping to gather information and to assist our students and staff."

Campbell Avenue was closed while officials investigated the crash, but has since reopened.

Contact Us