Columbia Gas crews and firefighters responded to a serious natural gas leak outside a residence in Andover, Massachusetts, according to the fire chief.
Andover firefighters went to Bridle Path Road at the request of Columbia Gas shortly before 3 p.m. on Thursday and were notified that Columbia Gas was conducting a survey of the neighborhood when they received extremely high gas readings outside one the homes.
The gas meters on-scene showed natural gas concentrations of approximately 60 percent, which prompted officials to determine that an immediate hazard existed at that location.
U.S. & World
The leak was identified and there was no interruption of service and the line is scheduled for replacement.
Officials believe that the source of the leak was a valve or coupling located under the front yard of the residence.
No one was home at the time of the leak, but the homeowner has since returned.