Propane Dryer Caused Vernon House Explosion: Investigators

Fire investigators have determined that a propane dryer is what caused a powerful explosion that destroyed a Vernon home Thursday afternoon.

Fire officials said a leak in a line that supplied a propane dryer in the basement of the home led to the explosion.Officials are not sure what caused the propane to ignite, but believe the explosion was accidental. 

Seven people were inside the home when the explosion occurred.

Two children, 7 and 15 years old, remain in good condition at Connecticut Children's Medical Center, police said and one man has been discharged from the Hartford Hospital, police said on Monday. 

East Street was closed for several days while officials investigated. It reopened late Saturday afternoon.

Vernon Public Schools are collecting donations for the victims, several of whom are students. The family is also working with a local charity to collect donations.

Contact Us