The Hanover Fire Department was dispatched to the Hanover Police Station and Emergency Communications Center on Sunday afternoon.
According to the fire department, they responded to 129 Rockland Street in Hanover, Massachusetts, just before 3 p.m. Sunday.
Upon arrival, officers told firefighters that there was a fire in the basement and that attempts to extinguish it were not successful.
U.S. & World
Crews stretched an attack line and were met by heavy smoke conditions, officials said.
Firefighters discovered a fire in the locker room area and extinguished it. The damage was contained to a row of lockers, but there was smoke and soot damage throughout the building.
Fire officials evacuated the entire building while they battled the fire, including the two dispatchers at the Emergency Communications Center. The fire and police dispatchers relocated to the Emergency Operations Center at Fire Headquarters.
Officials say during the transition, 911 calls were seamlessly transferred to Pembroke police.
Firefighters brought in fans to ventilate the toxic gases and smoke from the building. Crews also monitored the air quality during the operation.
One police officer and one custodian were transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation.
An investigation by the fire department determined that a battery powered flashlight caused the fire.
Crews are still working to clean up the damage caused by the incident, but officials say the building could be reopened Sunday night.