A woman is at the hospital after leaping from the second story of her burning Hartford, Connecticut home.
The Hartford Fire Department received multiple 9-1-1 calls at 5:29 a.m. to report a heavy fire at 228-230 Vine St.
The fired department fought the blaze for over an hour, but had to be called out of the building as the conditions became too dangerous. They were able to get the fire under control at 6:46 a.m.
U.S. & World
While battling the blaze, a power line fell on one of the fire trucks. Eversource had to be called to the scene to de-energize the line.
The fire chief said the fire may have started in the kitchen. He believes the family may have been using the oven for heat because the residents have complained about having electrical problems in the past. This is the preliminary cause but officials are still investigating.
The woman who leapt from the burning home was transported to the hospital. Her condition is unknown at this time. One firefighter was also transported for an injury to his knee and a minor burn.
Two families, consisting of eight adults and five children, have been displaced. They are being assisted by the Hartford Fire Department Special Services Division and the American Red Cross.
Keith Delores, of Hartford, said she was asleep in the first floor bedroom of her Vine Street apartment when she was woken up by a loud explosion upstairs.
"There were flames, it was just so much fire," Delores told NBC Connecticut. "I'd never seen this much fire before in my life. It was overwhelming."