The Massachusetts man indicted for the murder of a 68-year-old man who was found dead in his basement earlier this year was ordered to be held without bail at his arraignment Tuesday.
Thomas Garon, 53, of Worcester, was arrested in March after police discovered the body of Marcelino Muesces in a shallow grave in the basement of Garon’s home earlier that month. The victim had been reported missing in February.
Garon plead not guilty on all charges. A pre-trial conference was scheduled to take place September 26.
U.S. & World
Concerns about the victim grew when his car was found abandoned on Feb. 26.
"Every day that passed, we knew something bad was happening," Mueces’ girlfriend, Yolanda Lopez, said. "But we always kept the hope that he would come home or that we would find him safe."
An autopsy performed by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined Muesces died of blunt force trauma to the head and torso, according to the Worcester District Attorney’s Office.
Court documents state Garon told authorities he had purchased drugs from the victim in the past, but denied Muesces was ever in his home. The suspect allegedly provided inconsistent stories to investigators.
Garon was indicted on charges of murder, conveying a human body, larceny of a motor vehicle, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, larceny under $1,200 and misleading police.
The defendant was slated be arraigned at Worcester Superior Court.