Teen Drowns After Jumping Into Reservoir During Police Pursuit in Conn.

NBC Universal, Inc.

A 17-year-old drowned at Lakewood Lake after running from officers that found him in a stolen vehicle in Waterbury on Tuesday.

Police said they initially responded to Grilleytown Road at about 12:15 p.m. after finding an abandoned and unoccupied stolen car out of Millertown, New York.

Shortly after, authorities located another motor vehicle that was stolen out of Ridgefield. The car was parked and occupied on nearby Sage Drive. As officers approached the car, four people got out and ran, police said.

Officers arrested a 14-year-old and 16-year-old. The other two people fled into a wooded area nearby and were seen by officers getting into a reservoir known as Lakewood Lake.

Police said one of the teens got out of the water and was taken into custody. The other teen went under water and couldn't be seen, according to the police department.

NBC Connecticut

Officers got into the water to try and locate the 17-year-old, but were unsuccessful in finding him. The Region 5 dive team responded and pulled the teen's body out of the water. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.

According to Waterbury Public Schools, the teen who died was a student at Crosby High School.

Everyone inside the stolen car lived in Waterbury and was known to the police department for previous arrests.

The three teens that were arrested face charges including theft of a stolen motor vehicle and interfering with police.

NBC Connecticut spoke with those who say they know the teens involved.

"I knew him since he was 8 years old. Never thought this day would come to be honest," said Anthony Soto, of Waterbury. "I was talking to him before I came home from school. My mom was like come straight in the house because the cops are outside."

Those who knew the teen say while they understand the seriousness of the accusations, they still can't believe how it ended, and they have a lot of questions.

"Next day is never promised. Remember that. Next day is never promised," Soto said.

The name of the teen has not yet been released. Connecticut State Police is investigating the 17-year-old's death.

Contact Us