What to Know
- Alejandro Done, 49, who is currently in prison, was sentenced 18 to 22 years on July 18 in Suffolk Superior Court.
- Done pled guilty last month to various charges including two counts of aggravated rape and two counts of kidnapping.
- Done is already serving a 10 to 12-year sentence for an unrelated Middlesex County sexual assault.
A Massachusetts man who pleaded guilty last month to a series of sexual assaults along Boston's Esplanade starting more than 10 years ago has been sentenced.
Alejandro Done, 49, who is currently in prison, was sentenced 18 to 22 years Wednesday in Suffolk Superior Court.
Done pleaded guilty on June 7 to indictments charging two counts of aggravated rape, one count of rape, one count of assault with intent to rape, two counts of kidnapping, and one count of armed robbery.
U.S. & World
Prosecutors say the charges reflect attacks on three women along the Esplanade and in South Boston in 2006, 2007, and 2010. An attack against a fourth woman was not presented at trial because police said the victim had returned to her native country after the assault.
In court Thursday, two victims delivered powerful impact statements and explained how the attacks impacted their lives.
"I’ve had countless debates with myself if it’s my fault because I walked alone," said one victim.
After hearing from the victims, Judge Janet Sanders imposed a sentence of 18 to 22-years in prison followed by five years of probation which will run concurrently with a sentence Done is already serving in an unrelated Middlesex County sexual assault.
"The victims, in this case, said something we hear all too often in sexual assault cases," Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said. "They blamed themselves or believed others would blame them, for the assailant’s conduct. We as a society have to challenge the outdated misconception that any victim is asking for trouble and place the blame where it belongs – on the perpetrator alone. And men, in particular, have to stand up to condemn sexual assault and make no excuses for violence against women."
The district attorney's office said had Done's case proceeded to trial, prosecutors would have introduced evidence and testimony proving that Done was the unknown assailant who attacked women in Boston during late-night sexual assaults during the summer months between 2006 and 2010.