A New Hampshire prep school graduate, convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old freshman as part of a game of sexual conquest called "Senior Salute," will again be free pending appeal.
Owen Labrie had been free while he appealed his conviction, but a judge revoked his bail in March after he admitted violating his curfew. He appealed that decision to the state Supreme Court, which on Thursday sent the matter back to the trial court.
At a bail hearing Monday in Merrimack County Superior Court, Judge Larry Smukler reinstated Labrie's bail. He will be required to wear an electronic monitoring device.
Labrie will be released as soon as electronic monitoring can be set up. He will have to pay for the monitoring device. Any violation means he will return to jail, the judge said.
U.S. & World
At Monday's hearing, Labrie's attorney said he has "gone through life changing experiences" and has learned to appreciate his freedom and not take it for granted.
Prosecutors, however, argued that the only thing that has changed "is that the defendant doesn't like it in jail," and he shouldn't qualify for bail based on his previous bail violations.
Labrie, of Tunbridge, Vermont, was arrested in 2014 - days after graduating from St. Paul's School in Concord.
During his trial, Labrie testified that he and the girl had consensual sexual contact, but he denied having intercourse with her.