Prosecutors are asking a judge to revoke bail for a New Hampshire prep school graduate convicted of sexually assaulting a younger female student last year.
The Merrimack County Attorney's Office says in court paperwork filed Monday that Owen Labrie violated his bail conditions on at least eight occasions by traveling outside the parameters of his curfew.
Labrie is supposed to be at his mother's house in Vermont from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily, according to the terms of his release. But a recent story by reporter Susan Zalkind on vice.com said she ran into him on the MBTA from Cambridge to Boston on Feb. 29 and that he was nervous that he wasn't going to make it home in time.
U.S. & World
Zalkind tweeted about the encounter in detail (see below) once she got off the train: "Coming to Boston is interesting, he says. Some strangers show him support. Others, he gestures punching himself in the face."
Prosecutors say those tweets led them to investigate Labrie's travels
Jaye Rancount, Labrie's lawyer, told the Concord Monitor she believes her client was in compliance. Labrie has 10 days to respond to the prosecutor's motion.
Now 20, Labrie was convicted in August of a misdemeanor sexual assault and a felony count of using a computer to lure a minor for a 2014 incident with a 15-year-old girl at St. Paul's School in Concord. Prosecutors tied the assault to a competition in which seniors at the school sought to have sex with underclassmen. Labrie was 18 at the time.
He was sentenced in October to a year in jail and has been forced to register as a sex offender in his home state of Vermont.