The school bus strike that disrupted travel for thousands of schoolchildren in Providence has officially ended.
School bus drivers will return to work on Monday after voting to approve a new contract Saturday that resolved the 11-day walkout. A tentative deal had been announced on Friday.
The strike began Sept. 27 and affected more than 9,000 schoolchildren. The dispute centered on retirement benefits.
U.S. & World
Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza said the strike caused "an undue burden on so many families.'' He said he was happy the strike is over.
A spokesman for the school bus company First Student also said it was glad members of Teamsters Local 251 had voted to ratify the agreement.
First Student said it's agreed to contribute on behalf of its employees to the Teamsters defined contribution plan.