Court Documents: Suspect Admitted to Maine Killings

Anthony Lord made his first court appearance on Monday

A former convict charged in a Maine spree of violence that left two dead admitted to police that he committed the shootings, according to court documents.

Anthony Lord, 35, appeared in court Monday to answer to murder, kidnapping and other charges.

Friday's shootings in several northern Maine communities left 58-year-old Kevin Tozier and 22-year-old Kyle Hewitt dead. Kim Irish of Benedicta, Carlton Eddy of Benedicta, and Clayton McCarthy of Mattawamkeag were also treated for gunshot wounds and are expected to survive.

Court documents released Monday show that Lord admitted to police that he was responsible for all five shootings. Hewitt was reportedly shot eight times, and Tozier three times, according to autopsy results.

Lord reportedly admitted to police that he went to a residence in Benedicta shortly after 5 a.m. Friday "and shot multiple rounds at people inside the house," hitting Hewitt and Irish, who lived in the home. He then reportedly ran after 22-year-old Brittany Irish, Kim's daughter, who had escaped out a bathroom window.

Brittany Irish flagged down and jumped on the back of a truck driven by Eddy. Lord told police he jumped on the back of the truck and shot at Eddy until the truck stopped.

Lord then kidnapped Brittany Irish, took her back to another vehicle and left the area.

Lord also admitted to shooting Tozier and McCarthy at a wood yard in Lee, after one of them noticed that Brittany had an injury to her arm and asked about it.

The court documents do not provide any indication as to a possible motive for the initial shootings.

Lord was arrested Friday at his uncle's home in Houlton.

Police say Lord's criminal record includes convictions for domestic assault, criminal threatening and assault, police said. He's on the state's sex-offender registry after being convicted of unlawful sexual contact with someone under the age of 14.

Lord did not enter a plea on Monday. He has requested a mental health evaluation and is scheduled to be back in court at 9 a.m. Thursday in Houlton.

The state is looking to consolidate the charges from the two counties.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us