Suspect’s Name Released in Multi-State Car Chase, Trooper’s Stabbing

Police have released the name of the suspect accused of stabbing a state police trooper following a multi-state pursuit Friday.

Nghia Le, 18, of Manchester, New Hampshire, faces charges of armed assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and is being held on a $1 million bail, police announced Sunday in a statement.

Le is currently hospitalized at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester after being shot by the responding Massachusetts State Trooper, according to police. The time and location of Le's arraignment has not yet been announced. It's unclear if he has an attorney.

The unidentified 47-year-old state trooper remained hospitalized in stable condition Sunday after being stabbed in the head, neck, shoulders and arm during a multi-state chase of the suspect on Friday.

Law enforcement has said the chase began when the suspect carjacked a vehicle he crashed into in Walpole, New Hampshire, around noon on Friday. According to police, he drove through Vermont and down Interstate 91 into Massachusetts.

The chase ended on Fay and Orange Road in New Salem.

"My oldest daughter quickly prayed that everybody was going to be safe because we knew he was out to hurt somebody," said Jamie Bartlett, who witnessed part of the chaotic scene.

Hannah Hunting, who was driving nearby, says she witnessed the suspect get out of the car he was driving and attack the trooper.

"The suspect jumped out of his car, and I saw him with his hand in his pocket, so I immediately yelled at my kids to get into the van and get their heads down," Hunting told NBC 10 Boston.

At first, Hunting says she did not realize what was happening.

"The suspect ran to the police car and opened the door. I was watching from the van, and I thought they were just punching, but I realized after that he was stabbing the police officer," Hunting said.

Police say the trooper, a 12-year veteran of the force, shot the suspect in response to the stabbing.

The incident remains under investigation.

Contact Us