A Massachusetts man in his 60s has been diagnosed with West Nile virus, health officials said Thursday, becoming the third human case of the year.
The man, from Middlesex County, was exposed to the mosquito-borne virus last month. The risk level has not been changed, officials said. There are currently 15 communities at moderate risk for West Nile. A map of risk levels can be found here.
The other two victims this season were men, one in his 60s from Middlesex County, the other a man in his 50s from Plymouth County, health officials said.
In order to avoid West Nile and other mosquito-bourne illnesses such as eastern equine encepehlitis, also known as EEE, people should avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. This can be done by avoiding being outdoors at peak mosquito hours — dawn and dusk — wearing clothing that can help reduce mosquito bites and mosquito-proofing your home, health officials said.
For more information on mosquito-bourne diseases and ways to protect against them, visit the Department of Public Health's website.