Two people were "incinerated" in a U.S. airstrike targeting the notorious terrorist known as "Jihadi John," and a military spokesman said Friday officials are "reasonably certain" he was one of them, NBC News reported.
"It will take time to definitively declare whether we had success," Col. Steve Warren, spokesman for the U.S. military operation against ISIS, told reporters during a briefing.
The U.S. has video showing an individual believed to be Mohammed Emwazi exiting a building in the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa and getting into a vehicle, the official said. A U.S.-operated MQ-9 Reaper drone, one of three that had been tracking Emwazi, then struck the car, a senior military official told NBC News.
U.S. & World
Warren could not comment on the existence of the video, but said the presumed death of Emwazi is a "significant blow" to ISIS' image.
The masked Emwazi, a Kuwait-born British citizen, has participated in numerous videos showing the killings of Westerners, including American journalists and American and British aid workers, officials said.