Bail Set at $5K for Suspect in Near-Fatal South End Assault of 22-Year-Old

Chris Smith, 22, had to undergo emergency brain surgery after being attacked in Boston's South End neighborhood on Feb. 9

What to Know

  • Michael Kenney, 40, of Weymouth, Massachusetts, turned himself in Tuesday evening for the Feb. 9 assault.
  • Officials say three men attacked 22-year-old Chris Smith so severely that the victim had to undergo emergency brain surgery.
  • Smith told NBC10 Boston he was "grateful to be alive."

A Massachusetts man connected to the near-fatal assault of a 22-year-old in South End earlier this month has turned himself in, according to the Boston Police Department.

Michael Kenney, 40, was arrested after turning himself in shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday at the front desk of Boston's South End police department station, officials said.

His bail was set at $5,000 cash at his arraignment on Wednesday.

"My client has no criminal record," said defense attorney Michael Dolin. "He spoke to the police yesterday. He plead not guilty and he looks forward to litigating this case in front of a jury of his peers."

Kenney and two other men allegedly assaulted Chris Smith so severely that he had to undergo emergency brain surgery.

At about 2:45 a.m. on Feb. 9, police responded to a radio call for a person screaming for help near Harrison Avenue and Fay Street. There, they saw Smith suffering from life-threatening injuries in a semi-conscious state. He was rushed to Tufts Medical Center for emergency treatment.

"They came up behind me and hit me in the back of the head," Smith told NBC10 Boston. "I hit my head off this pavement and I woke up in the ICU the next day."

Shortly after the assault, Boston police released black-and-white surveillance images of two men and two women believed to be connected to the attack. The rest of the persons of interest have not been identified.

Kenney, a Weymouth resident, was charged with assault and battery causing serious bodily injury and assault and battery.

The suspect's brother and sister-in-law said they were "shocked" by the allegations.

"He's a great person. He works every day," said Kenney's sister-in-law. "We're very shocked by what the allegations are."

Police said the investigation is ongoing. There is no word yet on any charges against the other three people seen in the surveillance images.

Kenney is scheduled to return to court on March 29.

Contact Us