Newtown Survivor Wants to Sue Conn. for 100 Million - NECN

Newtown Survivor Wants to Sue Conn. for 100 Million



    Newtown survivor wants to sue Conn. for $100 million

    Attorney said client is traumatized after hearing noises of screaming, gunshots and after losing friends (Published Friday, Jan. 17, 2014)

    (NECN/NBC News: Jeff Saperstone) - A six year old who survived the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre wants to sue the state for $100 million.

    Her attorney said that while she made it out safely, she's traumatized after hearing the screaming, cursing, gunshots and losing friends.

    "She lost a lot of friends that were killed and she really suffered through the horrors of listening to this,” said attorney Irv Pinsky.

    And that's the main reason why the New Haven attorney is taking the first steps to file a lawsuit against the state.

    “They didn't protect her or them, and they could have,” Pinsky said. “They could have done better."

    Pinsky's six-year-old client survived the shooting but heard the horrific events over the school's loudspeaker. He has filed a $100 million claim with the state claims commissioner, a step that has to happen before you can sue the state.

    "We knew it was going to happen again, and we know it's going happen again now,” Pinsky said. “We have to push the states to make their actions work. We have to compensate those who were victims."

    Pinsky hopes to review the evidence in the case. He said there are things that could have been done to stop it.

    "The state could have -- there's a whole lot of architectural designs they can use in schools to make it much harder to happen,” Pinsky said.

    Bottom line, he said, is that the victims can't sit by and do nothing. He said action needs to be taken.

    “There will be other law suits, not only by other lawyers, but by me, probably,” Pinsky said.

    The attorney is not releasing the name of his client. The state claims commission still has to review the case before any decision is made on whether he can sue the state.