Biddeford, Maine Man Charged in Double Murder - NECN

Biddeford, Maine Man Charged in Double Murder



    Biddeford, Maine Man Charged in Double Murder

    UPDATE AT 8:30 a.m.: State Police have released the names of the three people shot: Derrick Thompson, 19, and his girlfriend, Alivia Welch, 18. Being treated for gunshot wound  is Thompson's mother - Susan Johnson, 44. Johnson's 6-year-old son, Brayden, was uninjured.

    (NECN) - An elderly man from Biddeford, Maine has been charged with two counts of murder in connection with the shooting deaths of two people at his home.

    James Pak, 74, was reportedly taken into custody after surrendering to police following a standoff at his house late Saturday night.

    Pak was transported to the York County Jail in Alfred.

    Derrick Thompson, 19, and his girlfriend, Alivia Welch, 18, were the victims.

    Thompson's mother - Susan Johnson, called 911 to report the shootings just after 7 p.m. Saturday night.

    The 44-year-old woman and her 6-year-old son, Brayden, were removed from the home safely. She was treated for gunshot wounds at Maine Medical Center in Portland and her little boy was not injured.

    Pak owns the two-unit house and is the landlord. She lives in another section of the house.

    Investigators say they are looking into whether a landlord-tenant issue had any connection with the violence.

    The Johnson family moved into the apartment in October.

    Police say Pak surrendered after talking to police negotiators from Biddeford and Maine State Police, about three hours after the shootings.

    He was taken to the York County Jail and would likely appear in court either Monday or Wednesday, depending on the availability of a judge.

    State and Biddeford Police continue to investigate the shootings and investigators will be at the house most of Sunday gathering evidence and conducting interviews.  

    The building is a Cape Cod style home with an addition that houses the apartment.

    The two bodies were transported Sunday morning to the State Medical Examiner's Office in Augusta where autopsies would begin as early as Sunday afternoon.