Mass. Woman Out of Jail After Bus Collision Pretrial Hearing - NECN

Mass. Woman Out of Jail After Bus Collision Pretrial Hearing



    Mass. woman out of jail after bus collision pretrial hearing

    Prosecutors say Monica Knight, 18, severely injured 3 of her passengers in March 2012 when the car she was driving hit a school bus head on (Published Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014)

    (NECN: Scot Yount - Plymouth, Mass.) - "Commonwealth versus Monica Knight, custody matter," said a Plymouth County Court Clerk.

    Now, 18-year-old Monica Knight has been in jail for the past week after violating the terms of her probation; she allegedly didn't show up for a drug test, and, when she was drug tested, she failed.

    Knight stands accused of severely injuring three teenage passengers riding with her to Silver Lake Regional High School last March when the car she was driving somehow crossed the center line and crashed head on into a school bus.

    The bus had no passengers.  Knight and the bus driver were slightly injured, but Knight's three passengers were hurt severely; one of those passengers, Eva Lipton, is still suffering from injuries she may never recover from.

    Knight has been in jail for a week, after failing a court ordered drug test.

    "Failed to show up when asked by the probation department and was brought into court last Friday on the 29th, tested positive for marijuana, a strong reading is my understanding," Plymouth County Assistant District Attorney Joshua Geraitas told the judge.

    Family members of the victims did appear in court Friday, including Lipton's father, but they declined to speak on camera.

    Knight has so far not retained an attorney, even though the case, now more than a year old, is headed to trial.

    "The government is nearly ready for trial, this case deserves trial, Geraitas told the judge.

    According to a court clerk, Knight is also accused of violating her court ordered curfew. 

    Despite that, the judge released the teen, who along with a supporter, walked past the cameras to her mother's waiting car.

    She ignored reporters questions about the day of the accident or the condition of her friends.

    Knight is due back in court on April 19th, for yet another pre-trial hearing. In the meantime, she must continue to submit to drug testing, wear a GPS monitoring device and adhere to a curfew.