Home Depot Employee in Critical Condition After Stabbing in Quincy, Mass. Store - NECN

Home Depot Employee in Critical Condition After Stabbing in Quincy, Mass. Store



    Police say Jamal Boyd stabbed 37-year-old Corey Fredrick, who is in critical condition at Boston Medical Center (Published Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014)

    (NECN: Nicole Jacobs, Quincy, Mass.) - Police are investigating a stabbing that happened inside a Home Depot store in Quincy, Mass. An employee is in custody and one of his co-workers is in critical condition.

    Police say the victim in this case is 37-year-old Corey , who underwent surgery for a life-threatening stab wound to his leg. The store was closed for several hours but has since reopened after a day of chaos.

    Police tape is streaming the building, showing clear signs something here went wrong

    "When I came up, they said there's been a stabbing; one employee stabbed another employee," Ivy Washington said.

    There was chaos inside the Quincy Home Depot on Willard Street, according to police.

    "When our officers arrived they encountered a victim that was in grave condition,” said Chief Paul Keenan.

    It happened just before 8 a.m. The two employees, already on difficult terms, police say, began their merchandise shelf stocking shift at 6.

    "They had words prior to the altercation. When the altercation took place, one of the victims was stabbed,” Chief Keenan said.

    The victim was taken to Boston Medical Center for surgery. Meanwhile, the suspect took off, but police soon caught up with him

    "One of our lieutenants that was on scene got a phone number for the suspect; he called him on his cell phone; the suspect was lost in the woods after he took off from the Home Depot. He was lost in the woods and he agreed to return."

    Thirty-six-year-old Jamal Boyd was arrested.

    No one came to the door at his Mattappan home, although we heard voices inside.

    Investigators are collecting bags of evidence at the scene, and we're told there is plenty.

    Customers were turned away for a temporary closing.

    "He's critical I understand; I just feel bad about it," Tom Kelly said.

    All this while employees make sense of what caused that stream of police tape.

    We reached out to Home Depot corporate office for a statement:
    “Right now, our primary concern is the well-being of the injured associate. We also made on-site counseling available to other store associates.  The store reopened around mid-day after being closed for a few hours to let law enforcement conduct their investigation. We’ll continue to cooperate with them as needed.”

    As for Boyd, he is expected to be arraigned Friday.