Father Leads Search for Missing Son in Fitchburg, Mass. - NECN

Father Leads Search for Missing Son in Fitchburg, Mass.



    5-year-old Jeremiah Oliver has been missing for 3 months; mother faces charges in relation to case (Published Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014)

    (NECN: Katelyn Tivnan, Fitchburg, Mass.) - A community has come together in Fitchburg, Mass., asking for answers.

    Saturday, dozens of friends, family, and volunteers gathered outside the home of missing five-year-old Jeremiah Oliver.

    "Try to find him, bring him home to his family," said volunteer Jaquelin Sarrano. "They need him."

    Sarrano's children go to school with Jeremiah's sister.

    It's one reason she decided to join the group of volunteers for an independent search of the area surrounding the boy's home.

    They are looking for anything that may help shed some light on what happened to him.

    "The more people, the better," said Jose Oliver. "Me, being the father, I can't just sit home and let them do everything. They can do the important things I can't do, but I can do the search."

    Holding back tears, Jose Oliver says he wants to do what he can to help find his son.

    He says it's moving to see how many people came out to help.

    "I hope we can find something," he said. "I just want to find my son, that's it that's all I'm concerned about."

    "He's a baby," said volunteer Tami Green. "He is five years old. We've got to find closure for the city and the family."

    Jeremiah was last seen in September.

    The Department of Children and Families first learned about his disappearance after his sister told staff at her school about alleged abuse.

    The boy's mother, Elsa Oliver, and her boyfriend, Alberto Sierra Jr., are now facing charges of child abuse.

    Meanwhile, Jeremiah's father hopes he will have more answers soon, and is looking to the boy's mother for help.

    "Mostly, the thing that I want is for the mother to talk," said Jose Oliver.

    He tells NECN that he has asked police to talk to the mother and thinks she may tell him what happened. Both the mother and boyfriend are due back in court next week.

    Meanwhile, the group of volunteers says they will keep searching the area until they no longer have to.