Two adults and four children are displaced after fire broke out at their home in Montville.
The fire damaged the roof and ceiling of the house on Greening Place and the fire marshal believes it started on or near the back porch, then spread into the home and up into the attic.
Tankers were used to bring in water and firefighters were able to put the fire out quickly.
Most of the family’s personal property was not damaged and the fire marshal said it appears the house will be salvageable.
He also warned residents about the threat of fire this time of year.
"This time of year, you’ve got to worry about discarded cigarettes. There've been a lot of mulch fires around. Basically, as we get into the 4th of July season, all of the sparklers out there, people usually put them back in cardboard boxes or paper bags and leave them in the trashcan next to the house and they usually start an exterior fire," Fire Marshal Raymond Occhialini said.
He is investigating the cause of the fire.