Hundreds of residents of a high-rise apartment complex in Newton, Massachusetts, were displaced by a fire Monday.
Fire crews responded around 12:20 p.m. to 250 Hammond Pond Parkway in the Chestnut Hill area after a fire broke out in a kitchen area in one of the building's two towers. All 425 units, and the approximately 800 residents living in them, were evacuated.
The complex is primarily a senior living community.
Newton Fire Chief Bruce Proia said the eighth-story unit where the fire began was almost fully involved.
"Sprinkler, thankfully, one of the heads activated, contained the fire to the room of origin, but did not extinguish the fire," Proia said.
Firefighters had to battle the flames while evacuating the south tower. The water from their hose lines and the sprinkler leaked down into an electrical control room connected to both towers.
"Because of that, the electrical hazard with that, we had to evacuate both towers," Proia said.
The American Red Cross of Massachusetts was helping displaced residents. Fire officials said residents were being taken to hotels in Newton and Needham.
Three people were transported to hospitals with minor injuries.