Faulty wiring sparked a house fire in East Hartford on Tolland Street early Sunday morning, displacing nine people in two families, fire officials said.
The only visible sign of damage from the outside of 345 Tolland St. is soot on the eaves and around the windows, but crews said there was heavy smoke and flames coming from the attic when they arrived.
It didn't take long to put the fire out, but both floors suffered water damage, according to fire officials. The second floor also has smoke damage.
Authorities said the home is uninhabitable.
No one was injured.
The Red Cross is assisting the nine people, including two children, who lived in the home's two apartments.
Firefighters have cleared the scene, but the fire remains under investigation.