Maine State Fire Marshal officials say 8 firefighters and one state trooper had to be hospitalized after a cabin fire in Prentiss early Sunday morning.
Sgt. Joel Davis of the Maine State Fire Marshal's office said a fire on Tucker Ridge Road was very smoky and filled with some though was "toxic" fumes. Davis said all people sent to hospitals have been treated and released and that there were no serious injuries.
NECN affiliate WCSH spoke with several volunteer firefighters that were on scene and said they believe their treatment was for "precautionary" reasons and that there has been no confirmation of any toxic fumes during the fire.
Fire officials said initial reports indicated a potential meth lab fire. After investigation, officials determined that was not the case.
Fire officials say it looks like the fire started in the cabin's kitchen. Davis added at this stage it is nearly impossible to tell what the substances were that caused the "toxic" fumes.
Davis said the investigation will continue Sunday.