The Animal Rescue League of Boston has issued a public alert regarding an uptick in the number of Leptospirosis cases they have seen recently.
The ARL said they diagnosed three positive cases of Leptospirosis, or Lepto, over the holiday weekend.
The bacteria, which can infect both pets and humans, can be life-threatening. It is spread through the urine of infected animals and can infect humans and animals through contact with the contaminated urine, water or soil, according to the ARL.
"It's a human health concern so it's easily spread to people so if your pet urinates and you clean up or have any wounds on your hands now, you are infected with it and it's a very serious disease for humans as well," said Nicole Breda, Medical Director with the ARL.
ARL officials said symptoms of Lepto include increased drinking and urination, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, and weakness.
Without treatment, Lepto can lead to kidney damage, meningitis, liver failure, respiratory distress, and death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
ARL officials are encouraging dog owners to get their pets vaccinated, as there is a Leptospirosis vaccine available.