A Massachusetts man was arraigned Wednesday morning after authorities discovered the body of a missing 68-year-old man in a shallow grave in the basement of the suspect’s Worcester home.
Fifty-three-year-old Thomas Garon was arrested Tuesday after the body of Marcelino Mueces was found in his basement. The 68-year-old man had been reported missing on Feb. 19, according to officials.
Concerns for the victim’s wellbeing grew after his car was found abandoned Feb. 26 on Villanova Street.
"Every day that passed, we knew something bad was happening," Mueces’ girlfriend, Yolanda Lopez, said. "But we always kept the hope that he would come home or that we would find him safe."
Investigators obtained a search warrant for 24 Penn Ave., where the victim’s body was discovered. Worcester Police Lt. Sean Murtha said that authorities believe Garon and Mueces knew one another. Court documents state the suspect provided inconsistent stories to authorities.
The Medical Examiner’s Office performed an autopsy on the victim, but the exact cause of death remains pending.
Garon was charged with disinterment of a body, identity theft, and misleading a police investigation. He’s expected to appear on Wednesday, and it is unclear if he has an attorney.
The investigation is ongoing.