Father Arrested, Boy Home Safe After Amber Alert - NECN

Father Arrested, Boy Home Safe After Amber Alert



    A boy with epilepsy is home safe after an Amber alert was issued when his father took him from home following a fight with his mother. (Published Saturday, June 20, 2015)

    An Amber Alert has been cancelled and a father arrested after a 3-year-old boy was returned home safely Saturday morning.

    Willimantic and State police issued the alert for Tony Juarez at 4:07 a.m. Saturday morning after his father, Fermin Juarez, 36, took the toddler from the home he shared with the boy's mother, his girlfriend.

    According to police, Fermin Juarez and the boy's mother began arguing around 10:30 p.m. Friday night.  Fermin Juarez took the boy after the argument and the mother called 911 after they did not return hours later.

    Police said they scoured Willimantic, searching unsuccessfully for Juarez’s green hatchback. So, state police issued an Amber Alert. Authorities were not only worried about the boy’s safety but also his health because he suffers from acute epilepsy and has seizures.

    “We were very concerned about that. The child was supposed to be given his medicine before bedtime and obviously he hadn’t gone to bed,” said CPL Stan Parizo, the public information officer for the Willimantic Police Department.

    At 4:20 a.m. Saturday, Tony’s mother called 911 again, saying her son had been returned safely. Police arrested Juarez inside this home, without incident.

    “We are pleased with the outcome of this entire investigation. The child who has an illness is returned back to the safety and care of his mother,” said Parizo.

    While police said the boy appeared to be uninjured, DCF was called. Juarez is behind bars on $20,000 bond, charged with risk of injury to a minor and disorderly conduct.

    “You can’t abscond with the child when he has a medical condition. We’re not charging him with kidnapping because he is the biological father of the child,” Parizo explained.

    Juarez will face a judge in Danielson Superior Court on Monday.

     "The Willimantic Police Department is extremely pleased with the outcome of this very serious incident," Parizo said.