School has been canceled for some students in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, this week due to ceiling damage caused by a burst steam pipe.
School officials said water leaked over the holiday vacation at Crocker Elementary School, damaging ceiling tiles that contained asbestos.
Classes have been canceled Tuesday through Friday to properly repair and clean the school.
"We are working with the appropriate agencies and licensed experts to remediate the damage and ensure that Crocker continues to be a safe, healthy environment for students, parents, educators and staff," school officials said in a statement.
Officials added that although closing the school is inconvenient, it was in the best interest of the students and staff.
"After much deliberation and in an abundance of caution for all involved, we have decided that the building should remain closed until cleaning and remediation has been completed. This will include thorough testing in all areas and confirmation from all required agencies that the building is safe for our school community," further read the statement.
School officials said parents will be notified of further communications from Crocker Elementary School Principal Adam Renda.