Case Continued for Student Accused of Prom Day Slaying - NECN


The latest news from around the state

Case Continued for Student Accused of Prom Day Slaying

The attorney's are discussing a possible plea deal.



    Case Continued for Student Accused of Prom Day Slaying
    Christopher Plaskon has been charged with murder in the stabbing death of high school classmate Maren Sanchez. He pleaded not guilty.

    A Milford teenager who is accused of stabbing and killing a classmate on the day of the high school prom in 2014 appeared in court today and the case has been continued until March 7 as attorneys discuss a possible plea deal.

    Christopher Plaskon, 18, made a very brief appeared in court.

    A judge previously ordered that a state-hired psychiatrist meet with Plaskon after his lawyers announced they were pursuing an insanity defense and both sides have been discussing a possible plea deal.

    Plaskon has pleaded not guilty to murder in the fatal stabbing of 16-year-old Maren Sanchez in a hallway at Jonathan Law High School in Milford in April 2014.

    Authorities said Plaskon attacked Sanchez in a hallway the morning of the prom, stabbing her in the neck and torso and police have said they were looking into whether the attack was related to Sanchez's refusal to be Plaskon's date to the junior prom.

    Sanchez, a member of the National Honor Society who was active in drama and other school activities, was focused on prom in the days before her death. She posted a photo on Facebook of her blue dress and was looking forward to attending with a new boyfriend.

    Afterward, Plaskon told an officer: "I did it. Just arrest me," according to police. The responding officer found Plaskon with blood on his hands and clothes, according to documents released after the deadly attack. 

    Judge Frank Iannotti previously approved a motion by Milford State's Attorney Kevin Lawlor to allow

    Plaskon, who is held on $3 million bail, has been charged with murder and is being tried as an adult. He could be sentenced to up to 60 years in prison if convicted.

    If found not guilty by reason of insanity, he could be detained for 60 years at the state's maximum-security psychiatric hospital in Middletown or possibly released years earlier if doctors determine he is no longer a danger to himself or others.

    Plaskon chose a trial before a three-judge panel instead of a jury and remains in custody.

    “We’re continuing to work here trying to find some common ground it’s definitely fruitful and it’s definitely worth while. The judge has spent a lot of time with us,” Plaskon's attorney, Edward Gavin, said,