Co-Owner of Middle East Steps Down Following Allegations of Sexual Misconduct - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Co-Owner of Middle East Steps Down Following Allegations of Sexual Misconduct

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Middle East Co-Owner Steps Down Amid Allegations

    One of the owners of the iconic Middle East nightclub in Cambridge, Massachusetts, has stepped down amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

    (Published Friday, Aug. 31, 2018)

    The co-owner of a popular nightclub in Cambridge, Massachusetts, has resigned amidst accusations of sexual misconduct on the job.

    In a Facebook post this week, the Middle East announced that Joseph Sater, who has run the business with his family for decades, would be stepping down.

    "After 44 years, Joseph Sater has decided to retire from managing the Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub," the post stated.

    The decision came after several posts on social media accused Sater of inappropriate behavior, prompting bands and entertainers to cancel their shows at the venue.

    White Official Tells Black Woman He Belonged to Master Race

    [NATL] White Official Tells Black Woman He Belonged to Master Race

    Some Leavenworth County, Kansas, officials are calling for Commissioner Louis Klemp's resignation after he insulted a black woman who had just presented a land-use study to the commission. "I don't want you to think I am picking on you because we are part of the master race. You have a gap in your teeth. We are part of the master race, don't you forget that," Klemp said. 

    (Published Friday, Nov. 16, 2018)

    "We had been booking with them up until November of last year," said Heather McCormack of the Boston League of Wicked Wrestlers.

    While no complaint has been filed with Cambridge Police, McCormack said she trusted the numerous accounts that were posted online, as well as reiterated within the community's music circle.

    "I'd like to see the venue be able to recover," McCormack said. "But it has to be totally and completely changed, unfortunately."

    In response, the club defended Sater. While he has left, they argue there is no proof to substantiate the claims against him.

    "It's been challenging to find an appropriate way to respond to unsubstantiated third-party claims on social media," the club wrote. "We can say, unequivocally, that the allegations being spread online are absolutely not true and that just being publicly accused is absolutely devastating."

    Sater's family will continue to operate the club. However, McCormack has no plans to bring back her business yet.

    "Systemically, it has not been a safe place for a long time," Mccormack said. "I'm not putting him on trial. I'm choosing to take my business elsewhere, and that's what I think other people are doing, too."

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android