Columbia Gas crews and firefighters responded to a serious natural gas leak outside a residence in Andover, Massachusetts, according to the fire chief.
Andover firefighters went to Bridle Path Road at the request of Columbia Gas shortly before 3 p.m. on Thursday and were notified that Columbia Gas was conducting a survey of the neighborhood when they received extremely high gas readings outside one the homes.
The gas meters on-scene showed natural gas concentrations of approximately 60 percent, which prompted officials to determine that an immediate hazard existed at that location.
The leak was identified and there was no interruption of service and the line is scheduled for replacement.
Officials believe that the source of the leak was a valve or coupling located under the front yard of the residence.
No one was home at the time of the leak, but the homeowner has since returned.