Caught on Video: Dog Ignites Fire at Family's Southwick Home - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Caught on Video: Dog Ignites Fire at Family's Southwick Home

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Caught on Camera: Dog Reaching for Pancakes Starts Fire

    Home security cameras captures a dog left home alone stealing food left on the stove inside a Southwick, Massachusetts, home igniting the stove's gas burner and starting a potentially devastating fire.

    (Published Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018)

    A family and fire officials hope to spread the word about fire awareness after a dog, while reaching for a pancake left on a stove, started a fire in a Southwick, Massachusetts home.

    A home video recently captured the owner's dog helping itself to leftover pancakes on the stove while the owners were away.

    Fire officials said a few minutes later, a fire was ignited on the gas stove.

    Authorities said the dog had hit the ignition button on the stove, sparking the blaze.

    Dog Caught on Camera Igniting Fire at Home

    [NECN] Dog Caught on Camera Igniting Fire at Home

    A family pet is being blamed for igniting a fire at its Southbridge, Massachusetts home.

    (Published Thursday, Feb. 1, 2018)

    Because the homeowner was connected to a monitored alarm system, they were able to call first responders right away and avoid severe damage.

    The dog was not hurt.

    Fire officials are advising people with children and pets to get safety covers for their stove controls.

    "What an excellent demonstration of how alarm systems can not only save your home, but your four legged family members as well," Southwick Police Department said on Facebook.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android