A New Hampshire family that lost nearly everything in a fire says what was salvaged was stolen a week later during a Christmas Eve burglary.
Now, the Thomsen family is trying to get back on its feet with the help of their community.
It's not easy to find the holiday spirit inside the apartment right now. The family's Christmas tree went up in flames in an electrical fire that broke out the week before the holiday.
The children lost some gifts and their parents lost nearly all of their life's possessions. But their nightmare before Christmas wasn't over yet.
On Christmas Eve, someone broke into their burned home and stole the few things they had left, including a TV and DVD player, Robert Thomsen said.
"It kinda hurts - it's like getting kicked on the ground," he said.
But then a glimmer of hope for the family came just before the holiday. Community members pitched in to buy the child gifts, and their landlord set up a fund for donations.
"It made me happy because I can see that everyone cares," said 10-year-old Hillary Thomsen, who lost some Christmas presents.
The landlord tells NECN it could take anywhere from three to five months to rebuild the apartment. The family, which will try to find temporary housing until then, is hoping there are a few people still in the spirit of giving.
Authorities confirmed there was a break-in at the house. There have been no arrests in the burglary case.
The Thomsen Family Fire Relief Fund is set up at TD Bank. You can go to any TD Bank to make a donation, or make checks payable to:
The Thomsen Family Relief Fund
293 S. Main St.
Manchester, NH 03102