The family of a teenager who was stabbed to death by a classmate inside her Milford, Connecticut, high school for rejecting his prom invitation has filed a lawsuit alleging the school didn't adequately respond to signs the boy was capable of violence.
The mother of the victim, 16-year-old Maren Sanchez, who was killed at Jonathan Law High School in Milford in April 2014, filed the lawsuit on Tuesday, which alleges Maren had told the guidance department that the assailant, Christopher Plaskon, was emotionally disturbed.
Plaskon, his relatives, the city of Milford and its board of education are defendants in the suit.
Plaskon's family and friends told police he was upset Sanchez turned down his prom invitation, but Plaskon's defense attorney, Ed Gavin, rejected that.
“It wasn’t a situation where he had asked her to the prom the day before and she said no and he was devastated and he lashed out at her. He was suffering from psychosis at that point." Gavin said earlier this month.
A prosecutor maintains several witnesses said Plaskon asked Sanchez to prom and she declined.
Milford Public Schools released a statement saying they have been made aware of civil litigation filed on behalf of Maren Sanchez.
“Maren was an intelligent, vibrant, warm, caring and talented young woman whose life was tragically taken. Our hearts and prayers continue to go out for her, her family and all those still healing,” the statement says. “With respect to the legal process, we will refrain on commenting on this case and allow the judicial system to determine the outcome.”
The mayor of Milford also issued a statement.
“The City of Milford has been made aware of civil litigation filed on behalf of Maren Sanchez. Maren’s life was tragically taken, and our hearts and prayers continue to go out for her, her family and all those still healing," Mayor Benjamin Blake said in a statement.
He also said city officials will refrain on commenting on the case and allow the judicial system to determine the outcome.