Five people are homeless Tuesday morning after fire ripped through a multi-family residence in Peterborough, New Hampshire.
Fire officials say two-thirds of the old farm house is a total loss. The homeowners were able to salvage some photos, books, and a clothing while firefighters worked on putting out hotspots.
Fire Chief Ed Walker tells us the fire started in the kitchen at about 5 a.m., and that newly installed fire alarms sounded right away.
"From what the occupants told me, the smoke detectors alerted them to the fire. Fairly safe to say fire detectors do save lives," he said.
Chief Walker says one woman suffered a cut on her lower arm, but is expected to be okay.
The Red Cross is on scene assisting the victims.