Fire Displaces People Living at VT Homeless Shelter - NECN
Vermont

Vermont

The latest news from around the state

Fire Displaces People Living at VT Homeless Shelter

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Fire Displaces People Living at VT Homeless Shelter
    Aaron Kohr/Adobe

    A fire has displaced 18 people staying at a homeless shelter in Vermont.

    The Brattleboro Reformer reports the fire broke out at a Brattleboro shelter run by the Groundworks Collaborative around noon Monday.

    Groundworks Collaborative operations manager Rhianna Kendrick says clothing in a dryer caught fire, and it caused extensive smoke damage.

    Kendrick says the fire department quickly responded to put the fire out, and everyone inside the shelter was able to get out safely.

    Footage Shows Mom's Pleas as Baby is Rescued From Hot Car

    [NATL] Footage Shows Mom's Emotional Pleas After Baby Rescued From Hot Car

    Police released footage of a mother who said she accidentally left her 5-month-old in a car for half an hour in a Goodyear, Arizona, parking lot when she, her sister and other daughter went into the store. Officers are heard on camera saying it was about 99 degrees outside. 

    (Published 6 hours ago)

    The shelter will remain closed until it can be professionally cleaned.

    Kendrick says people living at the shelter, including families with children, have been moved to another location. The Red Cross is assisting with the relocation efforts.

    Kendrick says she doesn't know how long the Groundworks shelter will be closed.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android