Cats Make Miracle Escape in Massive Cambridge Blaze - NECN


The latest news from around the state

Cats Make Miracle Escape in Massive Cambridge Blaze

Homeowner Christina Jeffrey thought her pets had been lost in the fire



    Cats Found Safe After Massive Blaze

    Two cats were found safe a day after a massive fire in Cambridge, Massachusetts. (Published Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016)

    One resident of the massive blaze that left dozens of people homeless last weekend in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is thankful after her beloved pets were found safe and sound.

    When Christina Jeffrey raced home and saw the inferno tearing through her street on Saturday, she said she just knew she was going to lose everything.

    “My house was one of the most badly burned houses,” said Jeffrey. “So it’s pretty easy to assume that animals perished in the fire.”

    Jeffrey was certain she had lost Mac and Cheese, her 10-year-old cats who are also brothers.

    But when she went back to the scene the next morning, she got the attention of firefighters and police, and hoped for a miracle.

    A neighbor was documenting the scene when all of a sudden a firefighter came out of the house, holding one of Jeffrey’s cats.

    “As he was walking to give the first one, the orange one — Cheese to me, he said the black one is in there, and he’s alive, and so he went back and got him, Mac, out and they were fine,” Jeffrey told necn.

    The two cats had been hiding in Jeffrey’s bedroom closet.

    Jeffrey and her mom were overwhelmed as the cats were found. She describes it as laughing and crying as she realized not everything was indeed lost.

    Jeffrey has seen the video, now closing in on 50,000 views on YouTube, and says their rescue is helping as she gets back on her feet.

    Her home is set to be demolished, but she will have this one moment she’s grateful for.

    “Because now I have something that makes me cry over and over and over again that I will always have and will always be able to see,” said Jeffrey.

    Mac and Cheese were taken to the vet and they checked out just fine.

    They were scared and hungry, but there were no signs of smoke inhalation and did not have any burns.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android