Two firefighters and one other person were injured in a 3-alarm blaze in Everett, Massachusetts, on Friday afternoon.
The Massachusetts Fire Marshal's Office says it is looking into possible fire and building code violations after the fire broke out on Morris Street. Officials say it started at the electrical panel in the basement.
Friday night, crews boarded up the multi-family home where two firefighters were burned fighting the fire. One of them was "extensively" burned in a doorway after a flashpoint.
"He came out rolled up and then fell off the porch and onto the ground," said neighbor Mitchell Donnelly. "He was engulfed in flames."
"We're not sure what happened when they went inside, but there was heavy fire that they were met with," Everett Fire Chief Anthony Carli said. "They were backed out of a room on the first floor, and that's when the injuries occurred."
A grandmother, who was about to jump from the back part of the house, was also rescued by firefighters on a ladder.
She was released from the hospital Friday night, as was one of the firefighters.
The department has identified the injured firefighters as Lt. Scott Dalrymple and Private Josh Doyon. Each firefighter was hospitalized with second and third-degree burns.
As of late Saturday afternoon, Doyon has returned home. Dalrymple remains hospitalized, and is said to be in "good spirits," according to his wife.
A Yorkshire terrier named Dengo also made it out alive after being saved by a neighbor who lives down the street.
"The little dog he was scared," neighbor Carole Glennan said. "He was in the middle of the street and I grabbed [him], I got a little bit of a bite, but that's OK, as long as he's alright."
Everett Fire, Everett Police and state police assigned to the fire marshal's office are investigating.
Carli says he wishes the injured firefighters a speedy recovery and commends the Everett and mutual aid fire companies for their efforts in fighting the fire.