PD: Former Conn. Teacher Had Sexual Relationship With Student - NECN
Connecticut

Connecticut

The latest news from around the state

PD: Former Conn. Teacher Had Sexual Relationship With Student

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Former Canton Teacher Charged With Sex Assault of Student

    A former Canton High School teacher is under arrest, accused of having a sexual relationship with a student.

    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2018)

    Canton Police have arrested a former high school teacher after learning of allegations of an inappropriate relationship between he and a 17-year-old student earlier this year.

    Officers said they began investigating a complaint of an inappropriate sexual relationship between Canton High School social studies teacher Lindsey Barth and the teenage girl on June 25.

    According to police, the relationship with the female student started a few months ago and began as a friendship in school. No other students were involved and nothing happened on school grounds. Barth was the student's teacher at the school at the time of the complaint. He was also employed as a para-educator at the time.

    Canton Superintendent Kevin D. Case said Barth was put on administrative leave on July 3. Barth sent in a letter and resigned from his position on August 3.

    In a letter on Aug. 8, Case wrote that Barth taught one Social Studies class at Canton High School and he served as an 11th-grade special education para-educator.

    "While I am not aware of the details of the specific incident(s), I was informed by the Canton Police that there is no evidence that the incident(s) occurred on school grounds,“ Case wrote.

    Case said Barth had no other personnel issues and added, "I am angry and disappointed if, in fact these charges are true."

    He added that the school department has been and will continue to cooperate with Canton Police and the investigation.

    Police arrested Barth on Tuesday. He is facing two sexual assault charges.

    He was released on $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on August 21.

    Attorney Salvatore Bonanno, who is representing Barth, released the following statement:

    “It is my understanding my client denies all allegations. In the initial stages of the case, I need to collect further information to respond to the allegations being lodged against my client. My client intends to defend himself at Court to rebut these claims.”