Ex Student: Lincoln-Sudbury Regional School District Mishandled Sex Assault Report - NECN


The latest news from around the state

Ex Student: Lincoln-Sudbury Regional School District Mishandled Sex Assault Report



    Ex Student: Lincoln-Sudbury Regional School District Mishandled Sex Assault Report
    Getty Images
    File photo.

    Editor's note: Details provided in the court document below may be considered graphic to some readers.

    A Massachusetts woman has filed a lawsuit against the Lincoln-Sudbury Regional School District and high school officials over their handling of her claims that two classmates raped her when she was 15.

    The woman, identified in court documents as Jane Roe, filed a civil action Tuesday claiming she was sexually assaulted in November 2013 during a football game at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School. According to Roe's complaint, the school district failed to take action against her attackers or provide educational needs for her after she reported the incident, and instead stigmatized her by forcing her to sit alone in a common area.

    The school district and Superintendent Bella Wong, who also served as the high school's principal, were named as defendants, as were Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School Director of Student Services Aida Ramos and Housemaster Leslie Patterson.

    Roe's alleged attackers, who were also minors at the time of the incident, were not identified in the lawsuit. Roe says they lured her to an adjacent field, where they sexually assaulted her under the bleachers.

    "I resisted .... I tried to run away," Roe later texted those two classmates, according to the complaint. "You both raped me."

    Roe's lawsuit said the boys, who were unnamed, acknowledged the incident in text messages, begging for forgiveness and offering money for her silence. One of them allegedly said he would "go to Juvie if u being [sic] this to the police or school," adding that his girlfriend was all he had and that he couldn't afford to lose her.

    Six days after the incident, Roe reported it to the school's clinical counselor, who told Patterson and the victim's mother, a teacher in the school district. Roe provided the school with screenshots of the texts.

    While she tried to continue attending class, Roe decided it would be difficult because her attackers were still in school. In response, Patterson allegedly had the victim sit in a common area, a space where other students would serve detentions and in-school suspensions. She was not assigned work, instead spending her days alone listening to an iPod.

    Despite her parents having gone to court to get harassment prevention orders against the accused, Roe claimed the school "took little action" to keep them away from her. Hundreds of students, including one of the boys who allegedly attacked her, regularly passed through the common area to pick up mail.

    3 Children Die in Freezer in Apparent Horrifying Accident

    [NATL-NY] Kids' Bodies Found in Freezer in Apparent Horrifying Accident

    Investigators believe three children, ages 1, 4 and 6, died after becoming trapped in a freezer outside of their Florida home -- a horrifying apparent accident that has rattled the community. WNBW's Josslyn Howard reports.

    (Published Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019)

    At the district's suggestion, Roe was transferred to a therapeutic school more than an hour from her home for a 45-day program. However, due to concerns about the school's curriculum and her ineligibility to continue playing rugby or field hockey at Lincoln-Sudbury, which she had done for two seasons, Roe ultimately enrolled at Lawrence Academy, a private institution in Groton, at her family's expense.

    Additionally, Roe's lawsuit claimed the district didn't comply with the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights' Title IX requirement to provide a "Notice of Outcome" into an investigation.

    Nearly two years later, in October 2015, the district sent a letter saying the investigation into her allegations was inconclusive; two years after that, in August 2017, with both alleged attackers having already graduated from the school, a second letter claimed the first had incorrectly reported the school's findings. "There was sufficient evidence that an interaction of an egregious nature did occur on the evening of November 1st, and that the boys' conduct substantially violated the core values of L-S," the school acknowledged.

    Wong responded to the allegations in a statement to NBC10 Boston.

    "None of the defendants have been served with suit papers," she wrote. "But as this matter involves a former student and is now in litigation, neither the School District nor officials can make any further public comment at this time."

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android