The gas leak that forced evacuations of three buildings and closed several streets near Orange Street in New Haven Wednesday was a gas stove in a restaurant.
The gas company said the source of the leak was a faulty gas stove in Pho & Spice restaurant and the gas built up overnight.
Someone noticed the smell of gas around 9 a.m. and called 911. When firefighters responded to 66 Orange St. and meters registered a large amount of gas.
Firefighters then evacuated buildings and closed the road from Chapel Street to Crown Street during the investigation and crews were at the scene for around three hours before identifying the cause.