Two Georgetown police offcers were treated for carbon monoxide exposure Saturday after responding to a Raymond Road home where a resident accidentally left a car running in the garage, according to town fire and police officials.
The two officers were treated at a local hospital, according to a news release. The unidentified resident was not at home at the time.
Rescue workers responded to the home at 7:46 a.m. on a fire-alarm activation report. The two officers entered the home to evaluate and were exposed to the colorless, odorless gas.
"Upon arrival, first responders observed a car running in the garage, but found that no one was home," according to a statement released by Georgetown Police Chief Donald C. Cudmore and Fire Chief Fred A. Mitchell Jr.
Officials say the resident accidentally left the car running in the garage and was picked up for a ride by a friend.
The incident remains under investigation.