New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu says he was open to working with Hampton officials to improve relations ahead of a plan for the town to file a lawsuit against the state over the state-owned Hampton beach.
The Republican governor met with officials in a public Tuesday night meeting, saying his goal was to discuss what led to the select board's September vote to file suit against the state. The Portsmouth Herald reports Sununu agreed changes could be made, but believes the state has demonstrated its investment in the beach and town.
The beach is operated by the state, but the town responds if someone calls 911 at the beach. Hampton fire officials previously said they've spent more than $700,000 responding to emergency calls in the last four years.