Hearing for Man Charged With Fatal Bourne Bridge Crash Postponed - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Hearing for Man Charged With Fatal Bourne Bridge Crash Postponed

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hearing for Man Charged With Fatal Bourne Bridge Crash Postponed
    NBC10 Boston

    A hearing scheduled for a Massachusetts man charged in connection with a fatal crash on the Bourne Bridge last year has been postponed.

    Jose Portillo, of Lynn, is charged with vehicular manslaughter, one count of speeding, and three counts of negligent operation in connection with the crash that killed 61-year-old Deborah Carney on July 2, 2017.

    State police said Portillo was driving his Freightliner on Route 28 northbound at 62 mph when it struck the rear of the Carney family's Honda CR-V.

    Carney, a longtime employee of Brockton Public Schools, was killed at the scene.

    Bill Cosby Arrives to Court for Sentencing

    [NATL] Bill Cosby Arrives to Court for Sentencing

    Bill Cosby arrived at the Montgomery County Courthouse early Monday, where a judge will decide if the 81-year-old comedian will go to prison as a result of his sexual assault conviction.

    (Published 6 hours ago)

    Her two granddaughters and her daughter’s mother-in-law suffered injuries. One granddaughter suffered a traumatic brain injury.

    Portillo's attorney said his client, a truck driver of 19 years, is extremely remorseful for what happened.

    "So troubling. Sleepless nights and so on. But what can be said for these poor victims? They lost a mother, a daughter being gravely injured, a granddaughter and it was very, very tragic for everyone involved," said the attorney.

    If convicted, Portillo could receive 5 years probation and lose his license for 15 years.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android