How to Help After Deadly Farmington Explosion - NECN


The latest news from around the state

How to Help After Deadly Farmington Explosion



    Probe Begins After Maine Explosion Kills Fire Capt.

    Investigators from the Maine Fire Marshal’s Office and the ATF began processing the scene to pinpoint the source of the explosion as the man it killed was honored with a procession. (Published Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019)

    What to Know

    • A firefighter was killed and seven people hurt in a massive explosion in Farmington, Maine, that flattened a building.

    • The building was the main administrative building of LEAP, an organization that helps disadvantaged and disabled adults.

    • Gov. Janet Mills said she was monitoring the situation, adding, "Our hearts go out to all those impacted by this tragedy."

    As the community of Farmington, Maine, remains in shock after a deadly explosion, donations are pouring in to help.

    A powerful gas explosion leveled a facility for people with disabilities Monday morning, killing Farmington Fire Captain Michael Bell, a 30-year veteran of the department. His brother, the town's fire chief, was one of seven other people injured in the blast.

    Firefighters responded after the smell of propane was reported at LEAP. The building exploded.

    Michael Bell, 68, was killed. His brother, Farmington Fire Chief Terry Bell, was injured, remaining in critical condition at Maine Medical Center in Portland Tuesday night. Captain Scott Baxter and his father, firefighter Theodore Baxter, were also in critical condition. Captain Timothy Hardy and firefighter Joseph Hastings, also injured in the blast, were upgraded to satisfactory condition.

    Fallen Fighter's Body Returns Home; Investigation of Explosion Continues

    [NECN] Fallen Fighter's Body Returns Home; Investigation of Explosion Continues

    The body of a fallen Maine firefighter killed during a propane explosion Monday was escorted from the medical examiner's office in Augusta back to Farmington. The procession took place as federal and state authorities continue to investigate the cause of the incident.

    (Published Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019)

    The explosion also injured Larry Lord, a maintenance worker at LEAP. He was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital.

    A GoFundMe page was set up to help support Lord. As of Tuesday night, more than $52,000 had been raised toward a $75,000 goal.

    "Larry suffered severe burns on over half of his body, multiple traumas, broken bones, and critical injuries," organizer Courtney Webster wrote, adding that Lord was expected to be hospitalized for four months.

    United Way of the Tri-Valley Area set up the LEAP Explosion Fund "to help LEAP employees, firefighters, and others affected by this terrible event."

    According to the Daily Bulldog, a news outlet in Franklin County, money can also be donated to the Farmington Firemen's Benevolent Association and the Farmington Disaster Relief Fund through Franklin Savings Bank.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android