A Maine factory that makes drumsticks avoided serious structural damage in a fire that occurred when a water cooler overheated.
The Morning Sentinel reports the Sunday fire at Vic Firth's Newport factory was contained under metal stairs. Newport Assistant Fire Chief Rick Turner says the fire was contained to an area with a metal lining that prevented it from spreading to a second floor. He says sprinklers that went off in response to the smoke caused water damage in some of the drumsticks, but the building was not seriously damaged.
The company says the factory produces about 85,000 drumsticks per day.